Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Busy Week for the World and Me

This week, President Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan announced his resignation, presumptive presidential nominee Barack Obama announced Senator Joe Biden as his presumptive vice president, the Beijing olympics hosts its closing ceremonies, and I complete my first week at the University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou). You ask, what do all these events have in common? Absolutely nothing. But I mention all of these to point out that the world does not stop for anything or anyone. Nobody waited for me to make a smooth transition to college life, and although both Musharraf and Obama most likely consulted countless individuals about when to make their announcements, the majority of the people they affected were not asked if it was a good time. Maybe all these events do not appear to be of any significant influence on the general public, but I say all this to make the point that you better run with the world if you don't want to get left in the dust. The world keeps spinning no matter what you want or feel. 
This past week, everything has been so out of sync with what I am used to, I don't know what to do. The news reminds me that the world continues, but since I moved away from my hometown of San Antonio, Tx, it feels as though life everywhere except for in Columbia, Mo, should have stopped. It seems as though I should go home soon and find everything exactly as I left it. 

(above) The columns stand in front of Jesse Hall, the admissions building for Mizzou.

Michael Phelps should still be swimming, hoping to break the world record, just as he was when I left. Barack Obama and John McCain
 should still be arguing about how best to solve the nation's and the world's problems, and Pakistan should still be ruled by the military hand of President Musharraf. 
However, when I finally go home for thanksgiving, none of this will be so. The olympics will be long over, the world will know who the next President of the United States will be, and Pakistan will have a new president. 

I wish right now, I had a solution to this dilemma of mine. I wish I knew how to make the world stop spinning, but I don't. So all I can do is run. I will become involved in this new community of mine. I will meet new people and discover new hobbies. I will fulfill my duty as a student and as a Christian. 

(above) Memorial Union is the building that houses many of the student activities at Mizzou.

And when I do finally make the flight home that fourth week in November, I will give thanks to God that I have a family who will be at home, waiting for me with outstretched arms as though I had never left. At that point, I think I will know that there is at least one place where the world can stop turning.

No comments: